Victoria Arlen calls ‘Dancing with the Stars’ elimination ‘devastating’ – Sharing #ABC #News Feed
Week nine of “Dancing With the Stars” ended with the elimination of Paralympian Victoria Arlen.
Interested in DWTS?
Add DWTS as an interest to stay up to date on the latest DWTS news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
After dancing the Charleston and earning her first 10s of the season, Arlen said the elimination was “devastating.”
“Our two dances were probably the best we’ve had all season and you just felt so good with them,” Arlen said today on “GMA.” “I was really excited. I mean last night couldn’t have gone greater until the end, but I’m really proud of what we achieved and the fact we did get those 10s.”
Val Chmerkovskiy also addressed the elimination, saying, “With every challenge is a great opportunity, I’m so grateful that the show trusted me with this incredible young woman and I got to tell her story.”
Over the past few weeks, Victoria has shared the heartbreaking story of the adversity she faced when she was 11 and diagnosed with two rare conditions: transverse myelitis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, which impaired her ability to speak, eat, walk and move.
She managed to overcome it and went on to become a gold medalist swimmer in the 2012 Summer Paralympics. Her story was inspirational but she had the lowest combined judges’ scores and viewer votes and, although she made it through the semifinals, won’t be going on to win the Mirror Ball trophy.
This week featured two rounds of competition: “dancer’s pick,” which meant the pros picked a song that best represents their partner, and a classic routine, where each star has to reinterpret an iconic dance from past seasons.
“Property Brothers” co-host Drew Scott kicked off the show with a tango in high-Scottish elegance to the Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” in a red tartan kilt, which matched a long dress that his partner, Emma Slater, wore.
In spite of a lively performance, judge Len Goodman was tough on Drew about his technique, saying, “Well done, braveheart. You came out, full of determination and attack. However, dance is a balance. It was so full-on, you lost your posture, you lost your technique.”
Drew and Emma still drew eights from each judge for a score of 24.
Val Chmerkovskiy and Victoria had a moving contemporary routine and they waltzed their way to a score of 27.
Jordan Fisher and Lindsay Arnold performed an Argentine tango, though Lindsay had some difficulties with her leg, which gave out during rehearsals. She managed to rally, while wearing a knee support.
While Len and Carrie Ann Inaba were tough on Jordan, because they have such high expectations of him. Bruno Tonioli was enthusiastic, calling the performance “absolutely fabulous.” Their routine earned them 28, with a perfect 10 coming from Bruno.
Lindsey Stirling and Mark Ballas performed a contemporary dance, which moved Len Goodman to say, “You really blew me away.”
Nevertheless, while Carrie Ann and Bruno each awarded them 10s, Len only gave them a nine; still, they earned a high score of 29.
Frankie Muniz and Witney Carson moved well in a contemporary that Len said “was too much hip hop and not enough hip action.” Both Len and Carrie Ann were tough and gave the “Malcolm in the Middle” star eights, but Bruno gave them a nine for a score of 25.
After a special performance by the pros from the upcoming tour, “Dancing With the Stars Live: Light up the Night,” Drew and Emma were decked out in gold lame to recreate the jazz routine of Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff from season 17. The dance required Drew to twirl, lift and spin Emma and at times looked as if he was going to drop her, but they pulled it off for a score of 24.
Victoria and Val had to recreate the Charleston that Amber Riley and Derek Hough performed in season 17 and drew raves from the judges, and a nearly perfect score as Len and Bruno gave them 10s while Carrie Ann held them back with a nine, for a total of 29 out of 30.
Jordan and Lindsay recreated a high-energy jive complete with cartwheels that MMA fighter Paige Vanzandt and Mark Ballas performed in season 22 to “Proud Mary.” The pair drew raves from the judges and a well-earned perfect score.
Lindsey and Mark recreated the season 18 tango of Meryl Davis and Maks Chmerkovskiy for a 28.
Frankie and Witney recreated the paso doble of season 4 champions Julianne Hough and Apollo Ono. They were fun to watch but Frankie lost points for shape. They scored 26.
Frankie and Victoria were both up for elimination but Victoria was eliminated. She started to cry and didn’t speak as her partner Val hugged her and said, “Come on. Be proud of yourself. There’s nothing to be upset about. I’m so proud of you. Seriously.”
Tom Bergeron called her the most inspiring person he has met in 25 seasons of the show.
Drew and Emma, first dance 24; second dance, 24
Frankie and Witney, 25; 26
Jordan and Lindsay, 28; 30
Lindsey and Mark, 29; 28
Victoria and Val, 27; 29; eliminated at the end of the night
Dancing with the Stars returns for the finals next Monday at 8 p.m. on ABC.
Abc news headlines – Victoria Arlen calls ‘Dancing with the Stars’ elimination ‘devastating’ #ABC #news #Worldnews
USA Today News Headlines
- Terminix fined $9.2 million for use of pesticide that poisoned family
- Farewell to night? Light pollution reducing darkness worldwide
- Rep. Joe Barton apologizes to constituents after nude photo of him appears online
- Ocelots try to survive in a world that barely knows they exist
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade under tight security
- What's at stake with the FCC's net neutrality vote
- Polls: Voters in Arizona, Maine, Tennessee disapprove of Senate tax plan
- Tony Stewart stalker made hundreds of calls, played 'Psycho Killer'
- Fellow House Democrat calls for Conyers to resign
- President Trump has visited a Trump property on 34 out of his 45 weekends in office
- Facebook will tell you if you got duped by fake Russian accounts
- As abuse complaints mount, Nassar's guilty pleas bring some measure of satisfaction
- New ad from Doug Jones attacks Roy Moore over sexual misconduct allegations
- Former ethics adviser files complaint against Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway
- JFK files: FBI spied on Hollywood screenwriter and labor leader, including opening his mail
- Golic opens up about bitter 'Mike & Mike' breakup
- Kevin Spacey scandal: London cops open second inquiry into alleged 'sex assaults' in 2005
- In France, there is no minimum age of consent for sex — that may change soon
- Chip Kelly considers offers from Florida, UCLA; turns down Tennessee
- The most amazing Black Friday deals you can get right now
USA News Headlines
- Ex-Tiger Beat editor: Fame took its toll on Cassidy
- David Cassidy dies
- Moments from his life and career
- Cassidy's voice captured the spirit of 1970's youth
- David Cassidy said he had dementia
- People we've lost in 2017
- Trump chooses his own version of reality to back Moore
- Documents show involvement of Zinke's wife on official trip
- NPS doesn't object to sale of Trump wine at park
- What Trump has tweeted about instead of Moore
- Navy aircraft crashes in Philippine Sea
- Their technology helps get people face-to-face
- Saudi Arabia will issue its first tourist visas in 2018
- J. Crew will close dozens of stores by the end of January
- Group helps women recovering from opioid addiction
- Teen living in shelter finds support from team
- 1 inmate captured, 2 at large after escape
- Child killed after car plows onto sidewalk
- Walmart employee found dead in store
- Advice on dealing with holiday stress
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Gymnastics doctor pleads guilty to sexual assault charges
- White nationalist Spencer banned from 26 European nations
- Driver fleeing police hits, kills 3-year-old boy in Connecticut
- Beverly Hills soccer referee quits after calling parents 'disrespectful,' 'entitled'
- How the military handles the remains of fallen troops
- 'A Killing on the Cape': The Murder of Christa Worthington -- Episode 5
- Gabby Douglas alleges she was abused by USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar
- Inside the Thanksgiving mad dash at Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Clear weather greets most of the country for Thanksgiving travel
- 6-year-old among the 1st minors to legally shoot a deer after new Wisconsin law
- Family, friends mourn teen refugee killed in Kansas City laundromat: 'Why him?'
- Remains of 2 victims found after fire at Pa. nursing home
- Police capture 'armed and extremely dangerous' Alabama fugitive
- WATCH: Revelers line up to see the balloons inflated for NYC's 91st Thanksgiving Day Parade
- WATCH: Thanksgiving holiday escape is well underway
- WATCH: Die-hard Giants fan sobs after mom surprises him with tickets
- WATCH: Whoopi Goldberg speaks out about Haitian deportation protection
- WATCH: Security tight for NYC Thanksgiving Day Parade
- WATCH: Former USA Gymnastics doctor pleads guilty to 7 counts of criminal sexual conduct
- WATCH: Gabby Douglas alleges she was abused by USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar
Suit over erotic fiction about NFL player tossed
Dan Sewell, The Associated Press Published Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:43PM EST Last Updated Wednesday,Read More
Transit routes reduced, parking costs increased: City budget
Drivers and bus riders are significantly impacted by the City of Winnipeg’s 2018 budget. HomeownersRead More