brazil

 
 

FIFA panel bans three former soccer officials for life

ZURICH (Reuters) – FIFA’s ethics watchdogs have banned three former soccer officials from Guam, Nicaragua and Venezuela for life as part of efforts to address widespread corruption in the sport, the world football governing body said on Tuesday. File Photo – Former FIFA and Nicaraguan soccer official Julio Rocha exits following his hearing at the Brooklyn Federal Courthouse in the Brooklyn borough of New York, U.S., May 18, 2016. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo The latest officials to be hit by FIFA bans are Richard Lai, the former Guam Football Association presidentRead More


U.S. to end protected status for Haitians in July 2019

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States in July 2019 will end a special status given to about 59,000 Haitian immigrants that protects them from deportation after a devastating 2010 earthquake, senior Trump administration officials said on Monday. FILE PHOTO: A Flag from Haiti is pictured in a local store as a woman walks under rain at the neighborhood of Brooklyn in New York, U.S. May 13, 2017. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz/File Photo The decision by acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke gives Haitians 18 months to return to their impoverished Caribbean countryRead More


Massive fine for Uber Video – Sharing #ABC #News Feed

Now Playing: Lawsuit: Some female Uber passengers have ‘endured rape’ from drivers Now Playing: Dallas lawyer fired after argument with Uber driver Now Playing: Massive fine for Uber Now Playing: Apple delays the planned release date of its high-end home pod speaker Now Playing: Tesla unveils its electric semi truck Now Playing: Amazon gears up for ‘Black Friday’ Now Playing: Amazon delivering Thanksgiving discounts at Whole Foods Now Playing: Scientists discover Earth-size planet that ‘could potentially sustain life’ Now Playing: Movement calls on parents not to give their children smartphonesRead More


Tencent on global path as it surpasses Facebook in valuation

HONG KONG (Reuters) – China’s biggest social network and gaming firm Tencent Holdings, which last week reported forecast-beating quarterly results, is close to making Malaysia the first foreign country to roll out its WeChat ecosystem, an executive told Reuters. FILE PHOTO: Tencent’s booth is pictured at the Global Mobile Internet Conference (GMIC) 2017 in Beijing, China April 28, 2017. REUTERS/Jason Lee/File Photo Tencent has made a “breakthrough” in gaining an e-payment license in Malaysia for local transactions, and plans a launch early next year, senior vice president S.Y. Lau saidRead More


Trump’s silence on Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore Video – Sharing #ABC #News Feed

Transcript for Trump’s silence on Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore And we begin with the widening conversation about sexual harassment in this country, and a major new development tonight. From politics to media, and this evening, a veteran broadcaster under the microscope, at president trump remains silent on Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore. The president was asked again today but no comment. This after taking aim at Al Franken. But no word on Moore, accused of preying on teenage girls, and how the white house responds when asked why. AndRead More


Boy, 5, shoots 3-year-old girl in apparent accident – Sharing #ABC #News Feed

Authorities in western Minnesota are investigating the apparently accidental shooting of a 3-year-old girl by a 5-year-old boy. According to Lieutenant Keith Van Dyke of the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Department, the boy wounded the girl with a .22-caliber rifle. She is now in stable condition in a Minneapolis hospital but remains in intensive care. The sheriff’s office received a 911 call about the shooting around 7:30 a.m. Sunday. The caller said that a 5-year-old had shot the girl. “We believe it was an accident,” Van Dyke told ABC News.Read More


U.S. networks suspend Charlie Rose after sex harassment allegations

(Reuters) – CBS and other networks on Monday suspended Charlie Rose, one of the most prominent American interviewers, after eight women told the Washington Post he sexually harassed them and prompted Rose to apologize for his “inappropriate behavior.” FILE PHOTO: Journalist Charlie Rose speaks after winning a Peabody Award for his work in “One on One with Assad” in New York, U.S. on May 19, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo PBS and Bloomberg said in statements they were suspending Rose’s signature interview show, distributed on both outlets, citing the allegations inRead More


Dying at home rather than in hospital, elderly Japanese go to the afterlife quietly

TOKYO (Reuters) – After he was diagnosed with leukaemia in July, Katsuo Saito decided not to treat it and opted for palliative care. He had a hard time finding a bed at a hospice or hospital, so he spent most of his remaining weeks at home. Katsuo Saito, 89, who has leukaemia, uses an oxygen tube as he rests at his house in Tokyo, Japan, September 8, 2017. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon     “There are about 20 people on the waiting lists,” Saito, 89, told Reuters from his fifth-floor apartment in TokyoRead More


UPDATE 3-Bombardier sees strong demand for $1 bln bond offering

(Adds Bombardier’s statement on pricing) By Davide Scigliuzzo and Allison Lampert Nov 20 (Reuters) – Bombardier Inc said on Monday it priced $1 billion worth of seven-year bonds at par with a final yield of 7.5 percent per year, underscoring strong demand for the deal partly slated to retire debt maturing in 2019. The final yield of the offering, which came in $100 million more than initially expected, is at the tight end of the 7.5 to 7.75 percent range it had used when marketing the deal. The Canadian plane-and-trainRead More


US ending temporary permits for almost 60,000 Haitians – Sharing #ABC #News Feed

The Trump administration said Monday it is ending a temporary residency permit program that has allowed almost 60,000 citizens from Haiti to live and work in the United States since a 2010 powerful earthquake shook the Caribbean nation. The Homeland Security Department said conditions in Haiti have improved significantly, so the benefit will be extended one last time — until July 2019 — to give Haitians time to prepare to return home. “Since the 2010 earthquake, the number of displaced people in Haiti has decreased by 97 percent,” the departmentRead More