Striking images show California wildfires from space – Sharing #ABC #News Feed
The California wildfires have burned through so much acreage in the Golden State that the smoke is visible from space.
Interested in California Wildfires?
Add California Wildfires as an interest to stay up to date on the latest California Wildfires news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
NASA tweeted a handful of photos of the smoke plume drifting over the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday.
The NASA photos were taken from the International Space Station, and show heavy clouds of smoke billowing from California’s mountainous terrain.
A major Santa Ana weather event with wind gusts between 70 and 80 mph, and low relative humidity are to blame for the Skirball fire, which is threatening Los Angeles’ affluent Bel Air neighborhood, officials said.
The four fires are currently blazing through thousands of acres in California, forcing residents to evacuate. Each of the fires was at just 5 percent containment or below as of Wednesday afternoon.
California Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency in Ventura and Los Angeles counties.
Abc news headlines – Striking images show California wildfires from space #ABC #news #Worldnews
USA Today News Headlines
- Alleged reckless driver charged with first-degree murder in Charlottesville car attack
- Five new accounts of sexual misconduct hit Dustin Hoffman
- Net neutrality rules are dead. Will my Internet bills go up?
- Trump Jr. is berated for tweet about 'Obama's FCC' chair, net 'neutality'
- 5 things you need to know Friday
- Australia child sexual abuse inquiry reports 'catastrophic failures of leadership'
- Trump calls Putin to thank him for praise of U.S. economy
- Two men crushed when house being raised after Harvey falls on them
- Fashion publicist Kelly Cutrone says Russell Simmons attempted to rape her in 1991
- Colts' TE Brandon Williams suffers concussion from frightening hit
- McCain trying to 'get rested up' after cancer treatment, friends say
- Worker-friendly rule overturned by NLRB
- Michigan police probe remains of 3 children found in Montana
- Matt Lauer scandal: Ex-intern describes their brief 'consensual' affair as predatory
- Keaton Jones' story of bullying began with his father's domestic abuse
- Oscar snub: Angelina Jolie's film 'First They Killed My Father' misses out on nomination
- In Estonia, almost everything can be done online
- Sexual assault victims seeking justice on social media. Experts warn it's not bulletproof
- How much is Brexit costing Brits? A lot — and the tab keeps rising
- 'GMA' host Robin Roberts on Omarosa's White House exit: 'Bye, Felicia'
USA News Headlines
- The day 26 lives were taken
- Sandy Hook families post eerie warning video
- 20 dead kids shaped this senator's mission
- Mass shootings in America are a serious problem -- and these 9 charts show why
- Surprise inspections find 'significant issues' in treatment of ICE detainees
- Robin Roberts to Omarosa: Bye Felicia
- Paul Ryan 'soul searching,' possible he could leave Congress after 2018 elections
- US is cutting some military aid to Somalia amid allegations of misuse
- The Senate is now very much in play in 2018
- 8 coolest futuristic car features
- What if your home could repaired itself?
- Google wants you to experiment with new photo apps
- KSU President Sam Olens to step down effective Feb. 15, 2018
- Grateful shoppers meet 'Secret Santa'
- Mayor reverses decision to cancel MLK parade
- Three men charged with animal cruelty
- Should adults exchange Christmas gifts?
- Dogs rescued from dog meat market
- Complete stranger donates house
- Deputy's K9 found dead
ABC NEWS Headlines
- 4 senior managers at Interior Dept. fired for harassment
- Firefighter dies while battling Thomas fire in California
- Woman charged with laundering money via bitcoin to support ISIS
- Net neutrality repeal sparks praise and disappointment: 'We cannot let this happen'
- Suspect taken into custody after allegedly shooting 2 police officers near St. Louis
- Beverly Hills anesthesiologist charged with murder in patient's overdose death
- Harvard admissions investigation prompts mixed reactions from Asian-American students
- Michigan man free on bond after 45 years in prison
- Fraternity indicted for hazing after 2016 incident
- Suspended PBS host plans to 'fight back' against misconduct claims
- Alleged driver in Charlottesville rally violence charged with first-degree murder
- Remembering the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims
- UN chief: Iran may be defying UN on missiles, OK on nukes
- WATCH: Grandmother and her granddaughter graduate college together
- WATCH: Ohio police use battering ram to capture armed suspect
- WATCH: Louisiana college freshman's fraternity hazing death
- WATCH: Clock ticks on last-minute holiday shopping deals
- WATCH: Variety: New allegations of sexual misconduct against Dustin Hoffman
- WATCH: Americans across the country share their holiday baking traditions
- WATCH: Las Vegas shooting victim paralyzed after protecting girlfriend
Spanish flu memorial unveiled in Regina Cemetery
A memorial commemorating victims of the Spanish flu who died nearly a century ago wasRead More
A weekend of hockey events in Ottawa
The Ottawa Senators and the NHL will be celebrated across Ottawa this weekend. A numberRead More